Restore Your Abdomen after Pregnancy with Tummy Tuck Surgery
By Sheryl Pilcher on September 07, 2014
Pregnancy can lead to saggy, excess abdominal skin, which can't always be eliminated with diet and exercise. Fortunately, tummy tuck surgery can help eliminate loose abdominal skin and produce a sculpted tummy. Read on to learn how tummy tuck surgery can help restore the appearance of your stomach to its pre-baby look.
Tummy Tuck Surgery after Pregnancy
Tummy tuck surgery, also called abdominoplasty, is useful for removing stubborn fat and skin that won't respond to diet and exercise. Tummy tuck surgery includes the tightening of the skin and underlying abdominal muscles to create a flat, sculpted look. There are different types of tummy tuck surgery designed to correct large or targeted areas. These include:
- Traditional Tummy Tuck: A traditional tummy tuck is used to reshape the entire abdomen and is useful for those who wish to improve the appearance of the upper and lower stomach.
- Extended Tummy Tuck: Extended tummy tucks are used when large amounts of tissue and fat need removing from the whole abdomen as well as the flanks and back. This is more suited to patients who have undergone extreme weight loss rather than women who have just had babies.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: The mini tummy tuck is generally most appropriate for women post-baby. Mini tummy tucks focus on removing fat and excess tissue on the lower abdomen, the area many moms recognize as the “baby pouch.” Mini tummy tucks also use a smaller incision, leading to faster recovery and less noticeable scars.
Candidates for Tummy Tuck Surgery
Regardless of the type of tummy tuck surgery chosen, patients must meet certain qualifications to be considered candidates for this procedure. Candidates for tummy tuck surgery include:
- Those who are unhappy with the appearance of their abdomen: After childbirth, it can be difficult to regain your pre-baby body. If the appearance of your post-baby stomach has left you feeling less confident, tummy tuck surgery may be right for you.
- Those who are unable to obtain a sculpted abdomen with diet and exercise: Even with regular exercise and healthy eating, it can be impossible to naturally get rid of excess abdominal skin. Tummy tuck surgery is a viable option to removing such stubborn skin.
- Those healthy enough to undergo surgery: Tummy tuck surgery is an invasive procedure so candidates must be healthy enough to withstand surgery and recovery.
- Those with realistic expectations: Candidates for abdominoplasty, and any plastic surgery, must have realistic expectations and a healthy body image. Plastic surgery alone cannot solve all of life's problems and should not be undertaken with unrealistic expectations.
- Those with excess abdominal skin and fat: Candidates for tummy tuck surgery must have excessive skin on either the upper or lower abdomen or both.
Find Out If Tummy Tuck Surgery Is Right for You
Tummy tuck surgery can transform your abdomen to a slim, sculpted, tight look. To find out if you're a candidate for tummy tuck surgery or to learn about other treatment options, we invite you to schedule a consultation at Accent Plastic Surgery.
Related to This
“If you need breast augmentation or any cosmetic surgery, I would highly recommend Dr. Pilcher....This has been the best decision I have made.” Quintessa M.