Dimpling After Liposuction: Side Effects After Body Contouring
By Sheryl Pilcher on March 21, 2015
Here at Accent Plastic Surgery, P.A., we are committed to helping patients achieve the best possible results. Dr. Sheryl Pilcher is a skilled cosmetic plastic surgeon and skin care expert, and she has helped countless patients in the greater San Antonio area look their best and feel great about themselves.
One of the most popular options for aesthetic enhancement at the practice is liposuction, which removes pockets of fat from different parts of the body. Dimpling after surgery can sometimes occur. Since this is of concern to a number of patients, we'd like to go over the causes and treatments for dimpling right now.
What causes dimpling to occur after liposuction?
Some of the most common causes of dimpling after liposuction include the following:
- The amount of fat removal in the treatment area - If too much fat is removed from a given treatment area, it is more likely that dimpling will occur.
- Fluctuations in a patient's weight - After liposuction, patients should try their best to keep their weight consistent. Weight gain, substantial weight gain in particular, can lead to dimpling after liposuction.
- Uneven fat removal in the treatment area - If a plastic surgeon does a poor or uneven job on the liposuction procedure, the result is dimpling.
- The nature of skin laxity - When the skin is stretched out too much due to excessive weight or body fat, dimpling may occur since the skin is unable to shrink back fully to conform to a slimmer body contour.
- The presence of cellulite - Pre-existing cellulite in the treatment area or a tendency for cellulite to occur makes dimpling after liposuction more likely.
Multiple causes may be present simultaneously in a patient, so keep that in mind.
How can dimpling be prevented following liposuction?
Three primary things can be done to prevent post-liposuction dimpling issues:
- Find a skilled plastic surgeon - A skilled plastic surgeon will be sure to perform the liposuction evenly and properly, which means a decreased likelihood of dimpling occurring.
- Maintaining a stable weight - After you undergo liposuction, it's important that you eat healthy and exercise regularly. This will help you maintain the results of the liposuction and ensure that dimpling does not occur.
- Proper hydration - Staying hydrated with water helps filter out excessive sodium in your system, which reducing bloating and other problems with body contour. In addition to exercise and eating right, hydration is key to optimal results.
Are there treatments for dimpling after liposuction?
Yes, there are.
One great option to consider is laser skin tightening, which is ideal for people with poor skin laxity. The process will help ensure better appearance of the skin and improve its ability to conform to a trimmer and slimmer body contour.
In addition to laser skin tightening, surgical skin tightening may be performed, massage therapy may be considered, or fat injections can be used. During a consultation, you'll be able to learn more about all of your treatment options and which might be most ideal for you.
Contact Dr. Sheryl Pilcher
To learn more about liposuction and how it can help you achieve a slimmer and trimmer body contour, be sure to contact our cosmetic skin care and plastic surgery center today. The team here at Accent Plastic Surgery, P.A. looks forward to your visit and helping you achieve all of your aesthetic goals.
Related to This
“If you need breast augmentation or any cosmetic surgery, I would highly recommend Dr. Pilcher....This has been the best decision I have made.” Quintessa M.